Varinia is the Deputy Head of CEE Energy Projects and Construction Practice Group, Head of Energy and Projects in Romania and Head of Oil & Gas in CEE. Based in Bucharest, Varinia has twenty years’ international experience and her practice focuses on the electricity, oil & gas and mineral resources sectors.
Varinia is a market leader in the renewables sector in Romania, advising on some of the largest and most innovative energy deals in the market in recent years. Recently she was involved in the drafting of a number of important legislative initiatives in the energy sector (such as transposition of the Fourth Energy Package for the electricity market, drafting the Contracts for Difference (CfDs) support scheme for low carbon technologies). Varinia has been active in the Romanian energy market through the beginning of market liberalisation and the establishing of a new regulatory framework in preparation for Romania joining the EU (early 2000s).
Varinia advises on all aspects of electricity power generation and climate change sector, particularly in the renewables sector, including decarbonisation and climate risk, energy regulatory, licensing and compliance, energy M&A / finance / disputes, ESG projects, energy storage, EVs, hydrogen and e-Mobility, offshore and onshore wind projects, EPC projects, joint-ventures etc. She extensive expertise on petroleum and mining concessions, development of mature oil and gas assets in Romania, farm-out agreements, M&A financing transactions, tax, procurement, environment, disputes and competition related to the energy and oil and gas business.
During her career, she coordinated various top-notch oil and gas deals and assisted clients in successful applications in public bids for over 20 oil and gas concessions in Romania. Varinia has advised more than half of the active license holders on the market, as well as successfully advising the largest onshore M&A deals in the market. Varinia also contributed to the set up and development of key industry associations such as the Romanian Petroleum Exploration and Production Companies Association, where she serves as a board member.
– Hidroelectrica, the Romanian majority state-owned hydro power producer, on the acquisition of an operational 108 MW wind farm located in Constanta county from STEAG group, one of the largest generators of electricity in Germany.
– The Romanian Ministry of Economy, Energy and Business Environment on the new incentive scheme for energy – contracts for difference for renewable subsidies to be granted during 2019 – 2030.
– EBRD on the support granted for the development and implementation of Contracts for Difference (CfD) mechanism to encourage priority investments in low-carbon generation technologies that are needed in the Romanian energy sector, as per 2030 EU targets.
– A UK investment and asset management company on its agreement to acquire three development stage onshore windfarms in Romania with a total installed capacity of 1GW.
– Iberdrola on the full legal advice as exclusive legal adviser for the multinational power company for its renewables operations in Romania.
– BP Lightsource on its market entry for solar power investments, including regulatory, licencing, construction advice and transactional assistance.
– Solarpro Holding AD in relation to greenfield investors for behind the meter solar projects developed for corporates.
– Emergy on transactional matters related to the potential acquisition of a large wind generation project.
– Mazarine on various legal matters, ranging from corporate issues, licensing on their gas and power production, to most notable, ongoing post business transfer support in energy related compliance matters.
– PeWeTe Evo Europe on bid preparation in various public procurement processes, for a large scope of services to be provided to the largest oil and gas company in Romania.
Memberships & Roles
Bucharest Bar Association
Member of the Board, Romanian Petroleum Exploration and Production Companies Association
Member, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
Member, Balkan and Black Sea Petroleum Association
Member, SIPG (Oil & Gas Engineers Society)
Member Romanian Committee, World Energy Council
The Renewable Energy Law Review (2021)
The International Comparative Legal Guide to Oil & Gas Regulation 2016 – CEE Overview chapter (2016)
Shale Gas in Romania Study, World Energy Council – Romania Committee, chapter on legal framework (2013)
Energynomics.ro (quarterly) analysis of the Romanian and CEE energy market
Energynomics, Energy World, Oil and Gas Monitor magazines – regular opinions and articles on energy related matters such as legislation, strategy, trends and opportunities
2021 – Board Practice and Directorship, Certificate – Business Administration and Management, General, Henley Business School, UK
2010 – Executive Course: ‘Leading and Negotiating’, Harvard Kennedy School, Harvard University, Cambridge, USA
2010 – MBA, University of Chicago (Booth School of Business), Chicago, USA
2005 – MA in Petroleum Management, Ploiesti University of Oil and Gas, Romania
2003 – MA in International Relations, National School of Political and Administrative Studies (SNSPA), Romania
2001 – Law degree, Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj-Napoca, Romania