Gabriel is a founding partner of Biriş Goran and is widely regarded as one of the leading tax experts in the country.
Gabriel has over 21 years of experience in Romanian tax matters, having advised clients on complex tax litigation, compliance and structuring issues. He is well-known in the Romanian media for his tireless advocacy for meaningful tax reform to assist the business environment in Romania, and his appointment as Secretary of State in the Romanian Ministry of Finance was a vindication of his efforts.
Between December 2015 and September 2016, Gabriel was Secretary of State in the Romanian Ministry of Finance, in charge of tax legislation. He represented Romania at the First Inclusive Framework of OECD’s Anti-Beps Plan in Kyoto, Japan, in June 2016. During his mandate, he also promoted a future of VAT based on reverse charge with the European Commission.
Gabriel is the author of two books about tax: “Despre Fiscalitate şi Competitivitate” (About Tax and Competitiveness) and “Despre Fiscalitate şi Bun Simţ” (About Tax and Good Sense), both published in 2012. Gabriel is the co-author of “Controverse în fiscalitate” (Tax Controversies) published in 2011.
The 2018 edition of Chambers Europe has ranked Gabriel, for the eleventh year consecutively, “Highly Recommended” as a leading lawyer for Tax in Romania.
• Partner, Biris Goran (October 2016-Present)
• Secretary of State, Romanian Ministry of Finance (December 2015-September 2016)
• Partner, Biris Goran (2006-2015)
• Counsel, Salans Bucharest (2005-2006)
• Partner, Head of Taxation Services, Haarman Hemmelrath Romania (2002-2005)
• Senior Manager, Head of Taxation Services, Haarmann Hemmelrath Romania (1998-2002)
• Tax Consultant, Coopers & Lybrand Romania (1995-1998)
• Romanian-American University, Faculty of Law (Law Degree, 2000)
• Technical University of Bucharest, Faculty of Electronics and Telecommunications (Engineering Degree, 1995)